Saturday, September 26, 2009

Latin America Withdrawal

I'm finally settled in Los Angeles, CA. Fortunately, LA provides a relatively smooth transition from Latin America, as I live in a community that is predominantly Hispanic. I can even get ceviche just a couple blocks away from my apartment (albeit for 3x the price)! I'm currently living in Echo Park, which is conveniently located next to a beautiful park, grocery/99cent stores, restaurants, metro bus, etc. I love it so far, although I may have to update in a few months, as I am still in the honeymoon stage.

But I have to say, I really miss Ecuador. I've made it my home for the past 13 months, and I miss everything about it--especially the people. The 101 women from my exercise/nutrition class, the children and teens from our library and teen center, the staff from the Ministry of Health, partners from the local Cooperative, Dr. Lance and the Waldo's staff, my wonderful host family, Wendy Decalle and her family + 5 dogs + 24 horses, Cristian and Laurita, Susana the venta lady, Pati (my spa lady) and her son Jorge, Julia and family from the papeleria, my Chinese friends, and all my other Ecuadorian friends and Gringitos I've met during my time there.

I miss the simplicity. I still can't get over the fact that I have to pay $1.25 for ONE ride on the metro bus here in LA (which, according to my friends in NYC, is cheap. WHAT?!). I really miss public transportation, but here in LA, it is hopeless.

I never thought I would say this, but I actually miss the stray dogs barking at night. Every morning here in LA, I am awoken by this hyperactive hormonally charged bird that cawks, not chirps, but cawks like a sexually disoriented toad.

Thank God for the free section of craigslist. Or else the apartment would still be unfurnished.

At least the economy is flourishing in California. HA.

Miss you, Ecuador. See you soon...


View from our apartment roof



Favorite time of day



A slight ant problem. But not anymore. Terro really works. Poor ants.

2 comments:

Onyema said...

I get what u mean about missing it, especially after changing your entire lifestyle. Financially though things are pretty the same in Spain and back here in the US but it's the laid back culture I miss, the history, the music, the wonderful landscape, but most of all, I miss my kids. All 21 of my 5 year olds especially Lucia who I hope my future child is like and 24 of my 2 year olds, even Pablo, who I swore had a bad spirit in him, lol. Weird. Miss you too Shu-rena. Hope to make it out to LA soon.

Mike said...

When you say "See you soon," does that mean this year? It'd be great if you came down.