Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Some over-typical questions

Questions I get asked by 99% of the people I meet, in no particular order (sometimes by the same people):

(E = Ecuadorian; M = Me)

1. So I learn, you are either single, or married. There is no in-between.

E: Estas soltera? (Are you single?)
M: No, tengo un novio. (No, I have a boyfriend.)
E: Oh, Ecuadoriano? (Oh, Ecuadorian?)
M: No, de los Estados Unidos. (No, from the US.)
E: Oh ok, estas casada? (Are you married?)
M: No.
E (confused): Entonces, estas soltera. (So, you are single.)
M: No...tengo un novio en los EEUU. (No...I have a boyfriend in the US.)
E: Te gustan los Ecuadorianos? (Do you like Ecuadorian boys?)
M: Uh...Si, pero... (Yes, but...)
E (cuts me off): Te presento Ecuadorianos muy buenos. (I'll introduce good Ecuadorian boys to you).
M: Uhhh....
E (getting excited): Vas a casarte aqui en Ecuador? (Are you going to get married in Ecuador?)
M: Noooo...
E: ...con un Ecuadoriano?! (with an Ecuadorian?!)
M (feeling awkward): Noooo.... no estoy soltera.... (Noooo... I'm not single.)
*Conversation starts over from the beginning*

2. No, not all Chinese people know karate.

E: Eres de China? (Are you from China?)
M: Si. (Yes.)
E: Hablas china? (Do you speak Chinese?)
M: Si. (Yes.)
E (asks me to say something in Chinese...)
M (says something in Chinese)
E ("woooow"): Conoces karate? (Do you know karate?)

3. Some things never change.

E: Cuantos anos tienes? (How old are you?)
M: Que piensas? (What do you think?)
E: Hmmm....15.

1 comment:

Craig Smith said...

when gustar is used to refer to people it means "like" as in going out with the person, if you dont want to go out on a date with them, entonces no te gusta